Alexandra - Centennial, Colorado

We Are All One Big Family

What defines a family? By definition, a family is said to be “parents and their children, considered as a group”. But is this really what family is? Is family limited to specific people filling certain roles and positions? Are we all that secluded from the rest of the world and the amazing people in it? I suppose that the answer is in the eye of the beholder, but I know what I believe.

I believe that we are all one big family, a fraction of an even bigger whole. We are all related, even to people that we have never met before. Who knows, you might have never seen the person sitting next to you, but you two might have an entire world of things in common. We are all alike in so many ways, but we often let our individual differences get in the way of seeing these likenesses. Everyone at one time or another hates, fights, and perhaps does horrible things, but deep down, we are all children of God.

This philosophy really began to play a major role in my life last summer while I was watching the news one evening. I had just “graduated” from middle school along with 350 other students. Our middle school years had made us a family, and the feelings we had for each other couldn’t be described by words. Suddenly, a face flashed across the television screen, a familiar face. It was a girl I had just graduated with, a part of my middle school family. The reporters explained that she had been murdered, right before her first year of high school. The words hit me like a rock, and I felt as though I had just lost a sister. The community quickly worked together to aid her family and friends through the long recovery period that followed her death. The generosity, concern, and support of everyone helped soften the effects of her murder, just as families will do in times of crisis. This goes to show how we are all a large family, providing support, comfort, and love, even to complete strangers.

So, what is a family? A family is the world and the loving people in it. Families aren’t just limited to a brother, sister, mother, and father. In fact, there is no limit at all! Anyone could be a part of your family, whether it’s someone you know, someone you are sitting next to, or someone across the globe. What is important is that we all have a purpose in life, and often help each other accomplish this purpose. We are God’s children, one big family. This I believe.