Jennie - Wichita, Kansas

My Heavenly Friends

From my observations, it seems that most people consider a “friend” as the person that is always ready to go shopping and talk about the latest fashion or some other random activity. I think that friends are so much more. I think that friends are lifesavers, in the fact that friends are willing to listen and lend a helping hand, and occasionally, a shoulder to cry on. This is why I believe that friends are angels.

I suppose that many readers are assuming that I am referring to my human friends. While my philosophy can apply to them as well, I am actually referring to my closest friends, my pets. Yes, I do have human friends whom I can have “intelligent” conversations with, but I am better able to connect with my animals than with another person. I suppose it is because my animals are always around me and they always listen to me. If I start talking to my dogs, they usually raise their ears and cock their heads, as if they are trying to understand what I am telling them. I know some people think that it is strange for people to talk to their pets, but sometimes it seems like my pets are the only ones who are willing to listen. Whatever I say, they will listen. My cat’s response is usually a steady gaze and a soft purr. While that does not always solve my problem, it makes me feel better because I know that at that moment, someone was listening to me.

I admit it, animals are not really like people. Animals are more practical than humans are. Dogs can protect their friends with their fierce barks and strong bites, and cats can offer a purr as a soothing lullaby on lonely nights. In addition, both dogs and cats can provide warmth on cold nights, not just their body heat, but also their warm love.

When I was little, I learned a prayer asking for angels to stay by me while I slept. Pray for two angels to remain at my head, two at my feet, two to my left, and two to my right all throughout the night. I think I can feel them at night. In my case, they have taken the form of my dogs at my feet and my cats at my head, providing warmth and love throughout the long nights.

Another prayer for guardian angels includes the lines “ever this night be at my side, to light and guard, to rule and guide.” My pets are usually at my side through the night. They can guard me from my fears and guide me through the dark. Though they are not perfect, I know that they will always be near me. My pets are some of my best friends, and my idea of a friend is similar to my description of an angel. Therefore, I believe that my friends are angels.