Dave - Wichita, Kansas

Learn It to Live It

I believe in the power of education. Oftentimes we sit in the classroom growing bored and resentful. We forget the gift that freedom and development gave us. No longer must we scour through dark monasteries for meager scraps of knowledge as the monks of the Dark Ages were forced to do; instead we only must arrive at school each day to receive satisfying amounts of information.

Although difficult to acknowledge, this gift definitely exists and certainly deserves gratitude. Though formalized education provides an amazing opportunity, realizing this opportunity proves easier said than done. As aforementioned, such gratitude remains unexpressed as we take education’s charity for granted. Indeed, I sometimes even catch myself falling into such a spoiled slump, whereupon I groan in the morning dreading that school day’s torture. Naturally I then would proceed to measure each day’s torture by the amount of homework I was required to do. In this way, the amount of homework I had determined the quality of my day. Despite these slumps, which have become few and far between, the majority of my education has been spent in appreciation of the good fortune education has provided. The reason for my passionate defense of education lay in my love of learning. Every aspect of ascertaining knowledge brings joy into my life. In fact my taste for knowledge proves so insatiable that I read books to expand my education outside of the classroom. Excitement fills my body when I connect a video game to something that I learned at school that very day. In this manner education provides the foundation for my ability to see and experience the world around me, even video games.

Through formal education, my interest in science became piqued and I pursued a trip to Oxford University, where I studied genetics. While attending the summer program at Oxford University I saw many historical places such as the college where C.S. Lewis stayed and the rebuilt Royal Shakespeare Theatre, places I most certainly could not have appreciated without education as my chaperone. Education is power and power is satisfying. This I truly believe.