Sarah - centennial, Colorado

Five years ago, my parents said that we were moving from Ohio to Colorado. My dad had been offered a job. But, we felt that it was not the right time to move. A year later, we found out that the company my dad would have worked for had gone out of business. I believe God told my parents not to take that job.

Four years later, my parents called a family meeting. They said that they felt that Colorado should to be our new home. I, like any normal teen, did not want to leave my friends. I voiced my opinions to the world, and got the usual “This will be an adventure…” and “This will all turn out for the better in the end…” from everyone. At last, my parents had a talk with me. Dad told me that they felt this move would be the best thing for our family. They asked me to pray about it. I prayed and did not like how I felt. I knew we should move. But that still left me with a problem: I fluctuated between wanting and not wanting to move. Finally, I accepted the fact that Colorado was my future home and that my friends had to stay in Ohio, but thrilled did not describe my attitude.

Over spring break, we went to Colorado to buy a house. We felt that we should get the house we own now. We bought it, and went back home to get ready to move.

As we left Ohio for good, I felt like this was just another cross-country trip to see family. My head knew this would be for good, but my heart refused to accept it, despite the way I had often felt. My parents continued to tell me that they felt it was the right thing to do. When we got to Colorado, I jumped right into marching band and other activities, so I did not think about Ohio very much.

Over the past six months, I have come to see that moving has resolved several problems I had in Ohio with friends. My friends had respected my beliefs on dating, but I had been having problems with my feelings for different guys. I also realize that Colorado has opened many doors of opportunity. The honors classes I am in and the open campus policy of the school prepare me for college better than Ohio ever could have. The band program here allows for as much progression as I want. I look back on the past year, and now I believe that God tells us what we should do in our lives. This I believe.