Anna - Colorado

Have you ever experience something, and then regretted what you did or didn’t do? Couldn’t say,” Goodbye,” or really try your hardest, before the chance slips away?

When I was about 12, my great grandmother died. She wasn’t really a big part of my life. We only visited her occasionally, and when we did, all I would do was run around with my cousins. When she died, I truly remembered her. She always had that grandmother-y scent about her, and when we visited, she would always have to be told not to wash the dishes, or cook dinner. Every time she saw me or one of my cousins, she would grab our hand, give us a peppermint (that I didn’t always get to eat on account of my mother), and ask us how we were. I never realized what a big part of my life she really was, until she was taken away. “Absence makes the heart grow fonder…” Now this means something to me.

Many people around the world have moved in their life. When I moved from my home in California, I really understood why moving is such a big deal nowadays. A long time ago, I moved to California. I walked into my 2nd grade class feeling like the top o’ the world. I met a lot of friends in my 5 years there, and I was really having a good time. Well, the inevitable came. We were moving. Once I arrived in Colorado, I was immediately sucked up into new schools, new friends, and even new restaurants. I had forgotten all of my friends in California. Recently I have been trying, to no end, to get them back, to have those memories. But they just slip through my hands. I miss them a lot, and I really regret not staying I touch.

Every instance, be it death of a loved one or moving, gives you an opportunity. You have a choice: take full advantage of what you have, or you will regret it immensely when it disappears. “Absence makes the heart grow fonder.” This, I believe.