Elyse - Centennial, Colorado

There are choices I have to make in life. Some are harder than others, and I would just rather not choose. Whenever I choose to do something, I try to keep my priorities in mind. Priorities are our plans for our lives, what we want to do. Life doesn’t always follow our plans for it and sometimes we end up in places we don’t want to be, but I believe that with priorities you’re never too far from your right path.

Everyone is different and we all have our own plans, or at least things we want from life. Personally I want life to be fun, I want to spend my time doing things I want to do so that when I get to the end, I know what I lived for. I want to choose what I’m going to do and I don’t want other people to make my decisions for me. If I were to set goals other people wanted me to make, I would feel like I was sitting on the sidelines, watching other people live my life. I believe that in order to keep your priorities straight, you have to make things happen; if you don’t, you will just sit there wondering what could have happened.

When I was a swimmer I spent my days dreading practice, my practices complaining, and basically just wasting my time. I realized that I was going to have to do something else. I couldn’t stand not being happy about where I was going. I knew that I wasn’t going to swim in college so really what was the point anymore? Sure I used to love it, but people change. Swimming was never one of my priorities. I never wanted to pursue it very far in the future, so why was I spending eight hours a week doing something that was taking me no where? So I stopped swimming, and I started dancing more. It wasn’t that easy but it was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made in my life.

I don’t dread going to dance like I did with swimming. I don’t usually complain to my coaches and teachers while I’m dancing, and I don’t feel like I’m wasting my time anymore. While I’m at dance I don’t really think about what I could be doing that would be more fun, dance is the one sport where I don’t watch the clock waiting for it to be over. I’ll admit sometimes I still have my days when I don’t feel like dancing or I have to cancel plans so that I can go to an extra dance practice. Then we place first in a competition and it turns out that in the end it’s all worth it.

The choices I make sometimes affect the way I live my life, but usually I make the right decisions. My priorities may change along the way, but so will I. As long as I’m happy with where I’m going, I will continue to believe in my priorities. This I believe.