Madaline - Centennial, Colorado

Lois Lowry’s The Giver, defines the family unit as one man, one woman, one son, and one daughter. My family is not one of these utopian families. Day in and day out I live with a father, mother, three sisters, and three brothers. There are nine people in my family. Nine people means each day, nine chances to laugh, nine chances to cry, and nine chances to go completely insane. Everyone grows up watching The Partridge Family and the Brady Bunch thinking how cool it would be to be in a family that big, but the truth is that sometimes it is a total blast and other times it is like The Brady Bunch Reunion Special. But one truth of television families is that the love and support in them is greater than anything.

With all of the pressures and problems in the world, it seems like every week, I have some kind of life altering drama to deal with. I have realized that I could never do it alone. My mom has coveted the saying that “friends will come and go, but your family is yours forever.” Even though I sometimes I don’t want to believe that I will always have my family, it really does make me feel very happy and secure. Because of my faith, I know that no matter what happens in this life, I will be able to live with my family forever. I have gone through family deaths and tragedies, but having this peace has helped me through all of those heartaches.

Most teenagers probably wouldn’t choose to write an essay about their family or even admit how much they need them. I understand that, but nothing beats calling my sister at college, watching Sesame Street with my brother, or going to a family dinner on Friday night. They are always there, even if my friends aren’t. Some people hear seven kids and are shocked. I hear two kids and am shocked. My parents are one of six and one of seven, so a small family was never an option. But although this might sound crazy, it really doesn’t seem like that much. Sometimes I do feel like I get over looked because I am just one out of the seven. I think this makes me stronger, because I know that it doesn’t mean that I am less loved or important, but it has taught me that I can’t always be the center of attention.

My family is my strength. They are my backbone and support, even if they are like a Brady Bunch Reunion Special sometimes. I don’t have a typical, utopian family, and it isn’t always pleasant with them, but they are mine and I love them. I believe in family.