William - Centennial, Colorado

Working Hard=Success

After a few months of high school, I have decided that hard work always means success. Middle school was a piece of cake. I pretty much slept through all my honors classes and still got As. I never worked hard. And then Arapahoe High School entered my life. I got into all honors classes and I figured it would be just like middle school. “I’m really smart, I get great test scores. It will be a nice stroll in the park.” That wasn’t the case. After about two weeks of slaking off in all my classes, I had all Cs.

One night I decided I had to turn my school career at Arapahoe around. I started checking my homework, doing extra credit and studying for tests. My grades shot up. Nine weeks into the school year, I have all As and Bs except for one class. When I started to finally push myself I started to have success. In almost everything someone does, working hard can reap success. Sports, journalism, chess, if you apply yourself you can succeed.

I have played competitive soccer at Littleton United since I was ten. I played on the B team. Although I am not the most talented of soccer players, the last couple of seasons I have worked diligently. It all made it worth it this last weekend when I was asked to be on our A team, one of the best 5 teams in the state. I kept at it and success came.

Sometimes if you are not feeling very confident and want to quit, keep trying and success will come. However, if someone is in a difficult situation such as bad grades, and they continue to slack off, their grades will just continue to drop.

“Continuous effort – not strength or intelligence – is the key to unlocking our potential,” Liane Cordes. No matter how smart or athletic you are you won’t always succeed. I am probably one of the smartest kids in my English class, but my grade would hint that I am one of the least smart. I may have the brains, but that doesn’t equal A. Working hard equals an A. I am sure there are some kids in my English class that have low test scores, but still have As because they try as hard as they can.

Some kids in high school make fun of people for spending their time on schoolwork. They are doing the wrong thing. The students that push themselves in school will be living the best ten years from now.

“Always give a hundred percent, and you’ll never have to second-guess yourself,” Tommy John. If you always give your all, you know that you couldn’t have done better and you are o-k with that.

If I continue to work hard throughout the rest of my school and sport life, I will have success in life. This I believe.