Michelle - Centennial, Colorado

Change is inevitable. I know that for a fact. Although change may give me a headache, sadness, or bewilderment, on the whole, I believe that change makes you a stronger person.

Transitions, whether as small as getting up at a slightly different time or starting a completely new school year, are still hard and must be dealt with. From one school year to another, I change teachers, classrooms, and requirements. I have noticed that after going through this process for nine years, I am getting better at handling the first week at school. However small or large changes may seem at time, they are still not easy to get used to. No change is. However, through repetition, one can get better at adjusting. But moving, in my opinion, is one of the ultimate changes that one can never really get used to.

I was born in Denver, Colorado, and lived there for ten years. In third grade I was asked what middle school I would attend. I replied “Hamilton” automatically, as it was less than half a mile away. Little did I know then that at the end of fourth grade, we would be moving to Boise, Idaho. My friends didn’t know where I was talking about.

Moving there taught me many things. I think making new friends was one of the most valuable lessons I have ever learned. I originally felt out of place, as I was the only “new kid” in my class, and everyone knew everyone else. It took me one or two years to feel like I really fit in. By eighth grade, I had made a few really good friends in my neighborhood and the surrounding area. Once more, I was confident that I knew which school I would be attending next. However, yet again, I found my family moving, this time to Centennial, which is a suburb of Denver.

Because I moved here as a freshman in the beginning of high school, everyone was new to the experience, and I wasn’t as out of place as I was in fifth grade. However, I had already gone through the process of making friends, so I knew I could do it again. Although I miss my other friends, I feel as though I am starting to find my place in high school.

Through staring new school years, moving, and other changes, I have gained a sense of self, grown stronger, and have new self confidence. I can adjust to a new schedule and school. I can make new friends. Through change you learn that you can deal with it. You learn that you can do it again if something of the sort arises another time. You learn from changes and grow stronger. This I believe.