Declan - Centennial, Colorado

I believe that everyone, being human, makes mistakes. As children, mistakes were quickly forgiven and each mistake was a small learning experience. Perhaps the most important learning experience is learning to take personal responsibility for our mistakes. Mistakes should still be forgiven and used as a learning experience, but first people need to admit they did something wrong. Many people expect their mistakes to be treated just like they were when they were kids. More unfortunately, they often are treated like they were when they were children. If they’re not immediately forgiven, some just deny that they did anything wrong at all. If one cannot admit they’ve done something wrong, they’ll never learn from it.

It seems as a rule, people are too proud to admit they did something wrong. I consider this a serious character flaw. No one can learn and improve if they don’t have anything to improve upon. The main reason people don’t admit to their mistakes is because they don’t want to appear foolish. In reality, if they admitted their mistake, learned from it, and didn’t do the same thing again in the future, they would look wiser. No one can spend their entire life being treated like a child and being allowed to get away with any mistake. In 2001, at the age of 9, I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. This was a fairly young age to be diagnosed and it put a lot of pressure on me to be more mature than the other kids. Any mistake or error could have a serious effect on my health. No matter how old I got there was still that possibility of something going wrong. A couple years later, I had a serious hypoglycemic episode and actually had a small seizure. It was all solved relatively easily with a shot, but it gave us all a scare. This was all because of a miscalculation of the insulin I needed. I had to take ownership for this and make sure it never happened again. People should be mature and take ownership for what they do. If they act mature, they will be treated like a mature person. You only get what you give: if you act mature and admit to your mistakes, you will be treated maturely and others may even admit their mistakes. Many successful people have said they learned more from their failures than from their successes.

Every person that has existed throughout time and everyone that will exist in the future have made and will make mistakes. As long as people keep denying that what they’ve done is wrong, no one will be able to get along. The entire base of a perfect world relies on its people and if no one can take ownership for mistakes that they have made, the world will never be perfect. This I believe.