Jaymee - Wichita, Kansas

Being Weird is Normal, All the Kids Are Doing It!

One of my biggest pet peeves is when someone tells me that they think someone else is weird, and they never justify why they think the person is weird. I always get the response “I don’t know, they’re just WEIRD!” From what I can remember, the words “I don’t know” have helped lawyers win cases in court, then by what means does that justify calling someone weird? Many people I know are offended when they are called weird, but when a person calls me weird I take it as a compliment. To me being weird means that you’re unique. I believe every person is weird.

I go to a fairly large school where there is a wide range of diversity. There is ethnic diversity, gender, age, interests, level of courses, and a many other things. With things that make up a person it seems impossible for any two people to be alike yet we all have one thing in common. We’re people. Somehow in the grand scheme of things we separated people into the “norm” category and the “weird” category. The “norm” is considered society’s A list while “weird” does not make the A, B, C, or even Z list, it’s just a miscellany list.

Until I was about fifteen, I took great offense to being called weird. All through elementary and middle school I was constantly made fun of because of my overly frizzy, goofy looking hair and my weight, the torment made me want to lock myself up in the closet and never come out. I also became more reserved whenever I met new people and always felt out of place no matter where I went.

By the time I got to high school I’d always avoid the torment by making fun of others or over excessively talking to drive people away. During my freshman year I often got dirty looks or sighs when people thought I acted weird. Many times people would tell me I was weird right to my face as if I didn’t have any feelings or as if I really cared about his/her opinion, although never once saw them sitting on a throne, arriving to school in a limo/helicopter, or saw a crowd of people bowing down to him/her. Somehow I was supposed to change for these people who apparently had no respect for me, the same people who alienated me. I DON’T THINK SO! I finally figured out that weird can also mean unique. I also realized those kids didn’t deserve any respect for putting others down, and it didn’t offend me when my peers called me weird.

In my opinion, being classified “weird” is the “norm”. There are an infinite about of traits that make every person different. We can’t have a “norm” if there are 6.5 billion kinds of people out of the 6.5 billion people population of the world.

I’m glad people consider me weird; it means I’m an individual and my identity is as unique as my fingerprint.