Jeanette - Chicago, Illinois
Themes: setbacks

Sexual Harassment, a crime that is considered to be illegal, but still today, many people get away with it. It was about eight months ago when I felt my life began to take a toll. Personally I have always felt that school is a place a child would be safe. I was sexually harassed by a teacher. He touched me in my private places and in so many ways, it felt as if he riped my soul, my life, my self respect right out of my chest. So many thoughts ran through my head, back and forth. I asked myself so many times, why this was happening to me. As tears rushed to my eyes, I acted upon anger. I hit him, so hard that I hurt myself. I went home that day and felt completely violated, physically, verbally, and mentally. I told the principal the next day but he told me, that I was doing it for attention. I mean personally I felt that the principal did not have control over his job by maintaining a good teaching environment. After this situation, I had to get out. Every time I seen him, I would build up so much anger towards him, and the fact that he did what he did, and was still able to teach at our school. I couldn’t do anything but keep my distance, so I did. Today I have grown to be a strong, young individual. I am more aware of how people are in the world today. I guess you can say that it takes a life experience to truly grow and learn about the world around you. I Believe that no one should have to deal with this situation. I know from experience, that it leaves a mark in which only takes time to heal. I believe that sexual harassment should be a case that should be looked into more often. I believe that a difference can be made, and I hope this encourages women or men, to take charge, and do not let history repeat itself.