Emily - Plano, Texas

I would like to introduce you to my best friend, music. Music and I go everywhere together. Like any best friend, music is always there for me. Whether I am sad, happy, angry, disappointed, bored, doubtful or excited, music always has a song for every occasion. While music may be the most important person in my life, to other people, it may be just an acquaintance. With that said, music is also a friend to many. It is something that everybody can understand. All around the world, people come together to listen to music. When there is a wedding, music is played, when there is a funeral, music is there. Music is played at all sorts of parties, ceremonies, and events. People use music to remember tragedies like September 11th, or memories like a birthday or graduation.

I believe music has the power to evoke emotion in everyone. When one sees things like commercials, TV shows, movies, or political campaigns, the music used in all of those is very carefully planned to create a tone for the audience. I don’t think I would have cried as hard in the movie “Crash” if they had been playing circus music the whole time.

I am very proud to be able to say that I have the ability to evoke emotion in others through music. In fourth grade I learned to play the trumpet in my high school band. Now, seven years later, I am in the top band and playing the trumpet is what I love to do the most. It is an amazing feeling to play a concert and look in the crowd and see everybody’s face mesmerized and caught up in the music. The best feeling I have ever had was last year. It was our last concert and we were playing four amazing pieces of music. Our very last piece was a beautiful song by Eric Whitacre called “October.” As we were playing I remember looking out into the crowd and seeing my best friend crying. There is nothing better than knowing that you have the ability to affect how someone feels especially with something as powerful as music.

I believe a person’s life can be defined by music. Every person is unique, and I believe that music plays an important role in making everybody unique. Music plays an important role in everything; it’s everywhere. You can’t escape it. And when I see the power it has and how it affects people so positively, its like music to my ears.