Kathryn - Centennial, Colorado

Life is a journey and a roller coaster. There are ups and downs and many twists and turns. It takes time to move through the journey of Life, and it varies between slow and fast. But no matter what, people need to take time to stop and smell the roses, so they may have a break from the hustle and bustle of Life’s twists and turns. I believe, based on the little experience that I already have, that Life travels on the road of time, and people need time to think and to travel.

As I am only fourteen, I don’t know where Life’s journey will take me, but I have experienced a number of bumps and turns already. When I was only five years old, I moved to New Jersey and lost the few friends that I already had. I met many new friends and built stronger relationships with them than with the ones I had had before. However, after only three fast years, I moved back into my previous neighborhood. That is where I live now, and for the past several years; I have met many new people, been to several new schools, and lost some friends.

With changes over time in school, came changes in life. From, third through fifth grade, I enjoyed a ton of experiences with my best friends, but I was never too busy. I loved school and life was pretty simple. Then came middle school and a busy schedule, but there was always extra time for smelling roses. Seventh grade and things began to change. One of my good friends began to stray away from our friendship. Time flew by fast, along with the fun times in class with some of the best teachers I have ever had. The year itself during eighth grade went by fast, but school took ages longer. This year’s classes were not as enjoyable as in past years, and my schedule was busy, but not as busy as it was during the past year. B and began to become a bigger part of my life, and so did church, which was good. Looking back at my roller coaster of a life so far, it doesn’t seem like much, but these changes prelude into the time-twister of what is to come.

High School . Life is hectic and fun and time moves at a pace of its own. Marching Band takes over my schedule and there really is no time for anything else. My friendships are being tested and one completely falls apart. There’s no time for any activities that I had previously loved, such as relaxing, art, and church because band’s a really big commitment. Life’s also challenging as far as school goes. Classes become harder. Time is slow some weeks, dragging out tedious assignments. Other weeks, Time is non-existent, making homework almost impossible to finish. Despite these speed bumps, band brings an element of hard work and fun on the journey and who knows what Life will make of it for the future . There is not any time to stop and smell the roses here, of which there was plenty of rose smelling in past years, and makes it difficult.

Through my experiences, it is apparent that Life is a journey with its ups and downs. Also, Time plays a major role and determines some outcomes. I believe that Life journeys along the path of time, which is a challenge for people to be able to stop and smell the roses every once in a while.