Laura - Centennial, Colorado

I believe in music and its power to affect emotions.

Since I was little, I have been surrounded by music. At three years old, I started playing the violin, and have kept it up for almost 12 years. I have been in my schools’ choirs and have performed in the talent shows there. Every weekend morning, the classical station on the radio in my house is turned on. More than anything, I love to listen to music. In my church and at school, I am known as the “redhead who plays the violin”. Having so much exposure to music is something I am definitely grateful for because of the positive effects it has had in my life.

I am at a point in my life where I am under a lot of stress from extracurricular activities and school and am having conflicts with people who are close to me. This year has been the most stressful so far.

Sometimes I just need to be alone to be able to think; music is my outlet. During a rough spot, or even a happy one, where I am relieved that something that I have been worrying about has worked out, I will listen to music. Depending on the season, I might lie out in the hammock or just sit in my room and listen to my CD player. Music is a way for me to unwind and weed through my emotions.

You would be surprised at how quickly my mood can change just by listening to one song. By putting Star Wars theme song in my CD player, I can be lifted from a down mood, where I am at wit’s end. That song gives me a sense of importance. If I am extremely happy or relieved, I will dance in my room while listening to Kelly Clarkson or Michael Buble. An interesting combination, don’t you think? Of course, there are days where nothing special happens, so I am just in a normal mood. Those are the days were I break out in song, singing around my house, with no CD player. I don’t have one particular song, just whatever comes to mind, like Les Miserables, or Lion King. It seems that I always have to have music to feel complete.

I don’t really have any preferences when it comes to what music I listen to, it is just that some songs tend to speak to me at certain points in my life. That is what is amazing about music. I can be in any kind of mood, and there will be a song that comes up on the radio or on a CD that sums up how I am feeling. On any day, I can be found listening to Snow Patrol or the Fray. Some songs comfort me and others make me at peace with the world.

Because I have been involved in music since I was little, it has made me more “in tune”, pardon the pun, with my life.