Kim - Wichita, Kansas

Pride

For as long as I can remember, self-confidence has always been my greatest asset. I succeed because I believe in myself and in what I do. I love myself; I cannot imagine being anyone else or having any other life than mine. I believe that self-confidence is an important part of my character because it helps me be the person I am today.

As I reflect on my life, I cannot recall any situations where I let any negative comments influence my character. This helped me to master graphic arts and web designing. When I first started designing with Photoshop for my website, I did not receive good reviews; people thought my art was childish. It surprised me because I worked hard, hours, sometimes even days. I second guessed myself and kept reworking aspects of the work in order to make it perfect. Nothing turned out perfect, but I learned. Now, I do it for no one but myself.

Other times I think that pride might be my downfall. This characteristic causes me to, at times, put my opinion over others. I often think that I look down on people because sometimes I really do not care about their opinion. A couple of weeks ago, I started my car to get out of the parking lot, feeling confident and hyper. I decided to go in the opposite direction and cut in line. As soon as I did, I looked back for one second and then BAM! I hit the car in front of me. It was not a big deal, just a minor fender bender but I felt awful. I kept thinking and replaying it in my head because the car I hit could have been a student. I do not cut in line anymore, because I do not want to kill anyone.

That incident taught me a lesson-my biggest asset can also be my biggest downfall. In that situation, I let my self-confidence get the better of me. However, it will never happen again because I learned humility. It taught me that I am not always right and to beware the possible consequences if I do not apply confidence appropriately. Learning limitations does not hinder my self-confidence in anyway. If anything, it helps me build it because I understand that I have to apply myself more in areas I am weak in.

I believe everyone needs confidence in him/her self in order to succeed in life. It teaches determination and failure. But if one has enough courage to accept the failures, they can teach many things about life. This I believe.