Riley - Centennial, Colorado

Does it Matter?

Does it even matter that I’m black or that I’m white, or that I listen to Jazz and Metal, that I don’t fit into one certain clique at my high school, or if I’m gay or if I’m not? I don’t think it does. Frankly, I don’t see the problem for most people who choose what people to acquaint themselves with based off of what the person listens to, or how they dress or what the color of their skin is. Diversity matters, this I believe.

The way I see it, people are like toothpaste; some are extra whitening, some taste better than others, while others are adjusted to accommodate your toothbrush, and some specifically fight plaque or gingivitis. Yet we still choose what we want to place in our mouth, it still matters. As a society, we need diversity and choices in order to accomplish certain activities or assignments. Some jobs only appeal to certain people of one race, sex, or charismatic feeling. If there is no diversity in a society, than those jobs are left unfulfilled and the economy fails this I believe.

Also, if everyone is exactly the same as everyone else, how would important emotions such as love develop? Only those that love themselves would ever fall in love, and without love, is it possible for any other emotion to take place? No. Hate is normally based off of jealousy and without it, there is no hate, and without both, other minor emotions disappear and the society falls apart, this I believe.

Additionally, different cultures experience different surroundings, and without those different surroundings, they would develop exactly the same. Because different cultures develop similarly when they meet, they can not interact because everything they have is the same. Every advancement that could be gained is than lost because the cultures are identical. When there is a mixture, cultures will meet, clash, trade and create a history worth noting in my opinion, this I believe.

The picture that is painted in my head, clashes when I try to bring it all together. If it makes sense to need variety in choice in order to attract different people for a variety of jobs, to encourage emotion, and to write worthy history, than why can’t everything be brought together in one area? I believe that there need to be differences in everything: race, gender, surroundings, and emotions. This I Believe.