Tyrus - Centennial, Colorado

The Big Picture

I believe that I am in this world for a reason. I believe that it is not all about me. There are bigger things going on than my life. There is a war going on in Iraq and people have family members that are dying fighting for our country. I hope that I can leave the world a better place then it was when I came into it.

On October 26, it had been very snowy and icy all day. I am the first one home in the afternoons; my sister is at school and my parents don’t get home from work until later. I usually walk home, and I wasn’t looking forward to the walk on this day. By the time I was turning onto my street, my shoes were soaked completely through, and my pants were wet up to the knees. I turned into my cul-de-sac and saw both my mom and my dad’s cars. My heart skipped a beat, and at that moment, nothing else mattered. I did not know why they would be home, and frankly, I was scared. Obviously, my parents hadn’t left work just to hang around the house, so something must be wrong. As I hurried down my street, I started to think about what could have happened. My first thought was that whatever had happened had something to do with the weather. I walked into my house and saw my mom.

“What’s wrong?” I asked.

“Your dad slipped and got a concussion.” She replied.

I felt really selfish and stupid, considering how sorry I had felt for myself just two minutes earlier. My shoes were wet. So what? My dad had been in bed all day because he slipped on ice and cracked his head on the ground that morning.

Another reason that my eyes have opened to the world is because of the readings in English. Since the beginning of school, I have read Macbeth, Lord of the Flies, and Fahrenheit 451. These books are all about the true nature of man, and what we will do for power, or to challenge the system. When I finished reading the three books, I realized that it takes commitment to make a change. You have to be willing to give up everything, including your lifestyle and your family. Macbeth gave up everything in order to become king, and Guy Montag gave up his lifestyle as a fireman and his wife, Mildred, when he saved books.

These experiences are just a few reasons that I have totally changed as a person since the beginning of the school year. I have realized that it is not always about every individual person. I do not mean that I am just going to join the army and fight a war, but just do things that will make my life and other people’s lives easier. I am just one person in this world, and I hope that I can make it better, whether it is something little or something that effects the “big picture”.