Julianne - Albany, New York

I believe in laughter. I believe that laughter can help someone through tough times and horrid memories. Laughter affects everyone from a 3 year old playing with her toys to an 87 year old man watching reruns of “Leave it to Beaver”. Laughter can heal the broken hearted teenaged girl whose boyfriend dumped her and it can destroy the pain that bad memories bring.

Laughter makes people forget the troubles that they have been through because when your giggles turn into chuckles that turn into gut busting bellows of laughter, nothing else matters in the world other than what you just saw or heard. I believe that anything that can make you forget pain is a miracle from God.

We all know what happened on September 11, 2001. This was a time in my life when my belief was deeply challenged, not only for me, but for other people as well. No one knew what was funny, what could and couldn’t be said. Everyone’s soul was broken and it seemed that everyone lost a loved one that day. One show that often brought people to tears of laughter for 25 years, “Saturday Night Live’s” season premiere had been delayed a few weeks because of the tragedy.

When the show finally aired, the writers and cast members had chosen the Mayor of New York, at the time, Rudolph Giuliani to host the season premiere, along with New York City firefighters. Lorne Michaels, the longtime producer of “SNL” had joined Mayor Giuliani on stage for the opening monologue. When Michaels had asked Giuliani if they “could be funny?” Giuliani sarcastically responded “Why start now?” That was the moment that everyone knew everything was going to be okay. It was okay to laugh again, but it was also still okay to cry. When the two men hugged each other, you could see the dust from Ground Zero come off of Mayor Giuliani’s jacket. This was God saying “It’s okay to laugh now. It’s okay to have fun again. Don’t let sorrow consume your life.” The premiere couldn’t have come at a more perfect time.

My belief was challenged that fateful day, but it also grew stronger when the show premiered and I got the reassurance I needed from God. God doesn’t want you to wallow in sorrow. He wants us to have a good life. But sometimes that good life is put on hold when something is taken from you and you need a miracle to get that good life you had back. Laughter is truly a miracle.