Teresa - Selkirk, New York

This I Believe Essay

I have moved around a lot and I have always been the “new kid”. I have gone in and out of dozen of schools and have made tons of friends. Having to say good bye to all of them and moving on to the next place I have always had to start new and begin with no friends. My last move was different though. It has defiantly been the hardest and I have been struggling daily with it in all the aspects, making friends, fitting in, and all of the things that come with moving. But one thing has made it easier to deal with all of my new struggles: my cousin, Mackenzie. All though she is only nine years old and just shy of five feet she has made my recent move worth while. Not having anyone to tell my secrets too and share things with has always been hard, but this time I have my cousin. Mackenzie and I are like sisters and she means the world to me. She has been there when I have felt my worst and has been there to share in my greatest moments. I usually have to start with no one except my brother, mom, and dad when I move, which in the least isn’t always what a teenage girl needs to make it through. Mackenzie and I have always been close, talking on the phone when I lived farther away and seeing each other on yearly visits but having her here 24/7 has made us grow even closer. I have had best friends before but who new that the greatest one would have been my nine year old, care free cousin. I believe that big things come in small packages. Realizing this has made my world a brighter, better place. I use to not always look on the bright side and have struggled with depression through out my life but Mackenzie has brought the sun into my life and made me a happier better person. She has shown me not to let people bother you and to stand up for what you believe in. She has shown me that you don’t have to be perfect and that I am a role model to her. Her bright smile and her loving heart has shown me that even little people who may have little power can make a huge different in the world and in people’s lives. Even though I may not have made many friends yet I have all I need in my cousin, my sister Mackenzie. She is a kid with the heart and intelligence of any mature adult. Big things come in small packages, this I truly believe. I have my best friend and nine year old cousin to prove it.