Oscar - Wichita, Kansas

Complementing, What A Powerful Thing

As I was trying to convince my sister that the dress she was trying on looked good on her, and she still complained about how it made her look fat and short, one lady comes up and tells her that it looked “cute” on her. My sister smiled at her and said “thank you”, went back and changed to her regular cloths. Afterwards, as we were walking in the store, I told her that she was going the wrong way, that the place where the dress belonged was on the opposite direction. She replied by saying that she wasn’t going to put it back, she was going to buy it. I couldn’t believe it but that moment just strengthened my belief in the power of a simple complement.

Complementing doesn’t hurt us, rather it strengths our self confidence, by telling us not to worry anymore because whatever we’re worrying about is right. Unfortunately, many times in school I see a lot of girls look at them selves in the mirror and notice million of defects or errors in their face, body, or how things look on them. They ask their “friends” what they think, and they agree with them. When school is over and as I’m going back home, I notice the amount of signs in the streets promoting beauty products. Moreover when I get home and the first thing my sister does is look at her self in the mirror. Later on, as our family eats dinner I notice that we all drink diet coke, and try not to eat too much in order to stay healthy, but the truth is that we don’t want to gain weight. Further, as I begin to do my homework, my sister begins to get her cloths ready for the next day. Later when I get finished, I notice that my sister is still undecided on what to wear for the next school day.

All of this preoccupation about our selves is caused by the expectations of others toward our selves. We never take the time to give a compliment to someone, or notice the good things in our selves or others. Our mind is set to try to achieve perfection, just because no one will notice us if we look like everybody else. As a result, every time someone asks for my opinion on how they look, I answer by telling them that they look good. I believe that if we just complement someone, their dissatisfaction about something might change. We’re not perfect, we never will be because we weren’t suppose to be, but a compliment can definitely make someone feel like they are.