Emily - Centennial, Colorado

Lost, in world that is too big, too scary. Lost, nowhere to run, nowhere to hide. Lost without a roadmap or a GPS. Nevertheless, I have something better- I have a navigator that is in control. That navigator is my God. I believe that He is up in heaven calling the shots, that He has planned everything from the beginning. In short, I believe in the absolute sovereignty of God. I know He is in control for one reason, because has carried me through my diagnosis with multiple hereditary exostoses.

It all started two months ago with a lump on my left index finger. At first, I did not notice it. Then it began to pop in and out of joint. Believing that I had just popped my joint out, my mother scheduled an appointment with my doctor. My doctor thought it just was fluid sac, but sent for x rays. A few days later, when my mom called for the results, we got frightening news. It was not a fluid filled sac; it was Multiple Hereditary Exostoses (MHE). My mom and I were told that MHE is a rare genetic disease that runs in families. MHE causes bone spurs, tumors, all over the body. My mom and I later found out that 10% of tumors in later adulthood become malignant. Because of this, I was referred to a pediatric hand surgeon. Not knowing what to expect, we showed up at the hand surgeon’s office. After the hand surgeon informed me because I am a teenager, it is most likely benign. I was also told that it had to be removed because it is located in a place where it can be easily irritated.

I know that God was there during the whole ordeal. He showed his plan for me in many ways. Since God ordained it, I was referred to a surgeon who had trained under a surgeon at the Mayo Clinic who had devoted his life to this disease. Having MHE and being at the clinic, God opened my eyes to just how minor MHE is. In the orthopedist office, there were people in cages to straighten their spine, and people with spina bifida. God had MHE in his plan; He exposed me to world I knew existed, but I was denying it. If God didn’t plan for MHE, my world wouldn’t have expanded.

MHE has taught me God has absolute control. I have put this into practice my everyday life. I recently found out that because of MHE I might have improperly formed growth plates. Yet because I know my God in complete control, I know that He will carry me through another round, orthopedist appointments, surgeries etc… God is sovereign – this I believe.