Madison - Centennial, Colorado

Blessing in Disguise

How does it feel when someone acts just like you do; talks like you, dresses like you, acts like you, tries to behave just like you? Frustrating? Flattering? When a younger sister tries to be just like you, it is hard to decide what you feel. When I notice my sister impersonating me, I often feel a mixture of numerous emotions. I am glad I am an example to her; but, at the same time, I wish that she would try to become her own person: unique and different than me. Sometimes a little sister can be the most annoying person in the whole world; however, at other times, she is the one person in the world you know you wouldn’t be able to survive without. I believe that when you weigh the pros against the cons, having a little sister is definitely a blessing.

Sibling rivalries and arguments often drive sisters apart from one another. When I find my sister spreading my secrets, wearing my clothes, using my things, or finding other ways to bother me, I often wish she would just go away.

However, there have been countless occasions in my life where I have relied on my younger sister for support. For instance, when I was in fourth grade my parents divorced. It was the hardest thing I had to go through in my life I did not know who to turn to. None of my friends could be there for me because they didn’t know about the situation. But, one person who was always there was my little sister.

A little sister is like a guardian angel. Sometimes you don’t realize that they are there for you; however, when you need them the most, they are always there. After my parents divorce, my sister and I grew much closer to each other. She comforted me, and listened to what was on my heart. Without each other, I don’t think we could have gotten through the hard times.

My sister and I still fight. We argue, we bicker. But then I realize how much I need her in my life. I love my little sister. She helps me when no one else can. She understands me. Even though she usually doesn’t realize it, she helps me through countless struggles. She doesn’t understand how she has aided me, and she doesn’t comprehend how much I need her. Maybe someday she will realize all of this, and then I can truly thank her. I really believe that little sisters are blessings in life, and every day I am thankful for mine. Even though it is very hard, when I am frustrated with my sister, I try to just remember how lucky I am to have her in my life and remember that under all of the annoyance and frustration, she is just guardian angel looking out for me.