Spencer - Auburn, Washington

Spencer Flitton

This I believe

Faith…the power to do anything. It’s the belief of things hoped for and not actually seen. This is what I believe in… the power of faith. Now there is faith in a little bit of everything. People usually attach the word faith to God. But faith is a lot more than just a biblical term.

Faith is risk. The risk to believe in something that one can do… even to the point of giving something very valuable up. Faith is hope. A hope that the thing one believes in comes true. Faith is trust… trust in either someone or ones self. Now faith can do extraordinary things if enough of it is summoned up. It can change lives, can keep someone going, can change the flow of things… it can even change how the world looks at things.

I remember two times when I had to have such faith. One is religious while the other had to do more for myself. First, the religious experience. When I was in the seventh grade a good friend of mine invited me to do something in which I knew was wrong. I didn’t want to tell him no because he was my best friend so, I went home and prayed. I prayed so hard and with so much faith a feeling came over me and I knew what I had to do. The very next day I told my friend I couldn’t do that thing and he was actually totally cool about it… because of the power of faith in my God I could easily do what I had to do.

Now this next experience everyone can relate to. Last year, I had to sing a solo for the homecoming assembly. I was really nervous; but faith that I could do it kept me going. I remember every day singing that song over and over just to perfect it. And in my opinion, for singing in front of the whole school… I think I did a pretty good job. Now not everyone has to sing a solo in front of the whole school, but people always have to do things in which they have to put their trust or faith in themselves or others.

Power and faith are like yin and yang. Peanut butter and jelly. One can’t live without the other if one has faith one has the power to virtually do anything… one cannot have power without faith; it’s a proven fact. Famous legends like Michael Jordon, Ray Charles, and even Columbus didn’t quit when everything was down for them. They kept going because they believed they were someone special and they got, in a sense, power for what they did. People who have faith keep going. They don’t quit and they don’t go down without a fight. Faith… that is my conviction.