Erin - Centennial, Colorado

What are morals? How do you define the morals that you believe in? I have been raised in a family with the basic morals of kindness and caring. I live my life on these ideas. My parents always told me to say please and thank you, to hold the door for someone and to be kind to others. I went to a small elementary school where each person also was raised on the same standard. All the kids in my school had friends and all the kids in my school got along fairly well. Middle school started and I went to a new school with almost none of my elementary school friends. Middle school was a completely new experience for me and I noticed that many of my peers and newly found friends were cruel to one another. There were kids everywhere yelling and cursing at their peers and hurting each others feelings. This was behavior that I was not used to. It took me a long time to get used to the way that people treated each other.

I believe that kindness and caring make the world go around. I believe that we should all take the time to get to know our neighbors and to know what is going on in their lives. I know that when someone says nice words to me that I feel special, and when someone takes the time to worry about me it’s a good feeling. I love it when people notice little details about my life. There were kids that I met that would make fun of me because I didn’t curse or because I was nice to people that my friends didn’t like. I was the nice girl that was never mean and didn’t get in trouble. I will never understand why there is so much hate in the world and why people make fun of other kids. I believe that if there were people who took the time to be nice to one another that there wouldn’t be so much violence in the world. Unfortunately, this world we live in is a harsh and cruel place. We live in the real world with plenty of hate and where a lot of people don’t seem to love or care. I still do not understand why people were not raised just like me. I thought that everyone was the same, but they are not. If one day everybody in the whole world took the time to be concerned, the world would be a better place. This I Believe.