Alex - Centennial, Colorado

I believe that mankind must take a step back, and look at itself. We as a species have encountered fire, the wheel, the idiot politician, and wars. We have made treaties with one another, broken those treaties within a year, and kept treaties for decades. And yet, we still can’t take a stand on our own personal beliefs.

When I was a child, there were no terrorist threats to the US. There was no Homeland Security, because it wasn’t necessary. Everyone was happy, and to the best of my knowledge, was able to live without fear for their lives. Then all of a sudden, something happened. A catalyst broke through and turned everything upside down. I still don’t know all the parts of the trigger. Now, we are afraid. Not because of President Bush or Tony Blair, or Saddam Hussein, or even Cher. I believe no one has enough information to blame these people. I think we are scared because no one will tell the truth. If the world starts saying what they mean, there would definitely be less conflict, no doubt about it.

Now I am 14 years old, constantly pondering why the heck I have to live in a time like this. The cavemen really had it figured out. Find the food, kill the food, eat the food, digest the food, and repeat from top. I don’t know what happened after that. Whatever it was, there are now thousands upon thousands of people dying over a patch of land smaller than Colorado. If they started out saying what they meant, we wouldn’t have this problem.

Kids learn to lie effectively at younger and younger ages now. When I was a kid, I was scolded for saying too much. I just wanted to say what I had to say, and my teachers and peers seemed to respect that. I didn’t try to trick anyone. But then that thing happened that I couldn’t explain: I discovered that I could tell them one thing, but really mean something else. And the others did too. So now I get to watch some idiot politician go on Larry King Live and lie, then apologize two months later blaming it on faulty intelligence. Why not just wait until you’re right and good to go? It’s because we no longer have anyway of telling.

This brings me to my point. We must start saying what we mean, even if it does mean ridicule. Humans thrive off conflict, and we are currently over-thriving. I believe this isn’t good. Maybe I’m wrong, or I’m being contradictory to most peoples’ belief, but that’s why I’m doing it: it’s what I really mean. This I Believe.