Daniel - Highlands Ranch, Colorado

There are many people in this world who enjoy comedy. They see comedians, read comedic books, and even try to crack some jokes themselves. Although people are similar in this sense, they have various senses of humor. A person’s sense of humor shows a glimpse into that person’s life. It shows how they think, what they like, and other interesting insights. I believe that comedy is an expression of character.

I have never really been much of a serious person. People get angry at me because I act goofy during serious moments. I don’t understand why. Well, maybe I do, but I don’t entirely agree with it. To me, being goofy during a serious moment doesn’t show disrespect toward the seriousness of the occasion, but rather lightens the mood. I don’t like to see people acting sad or stoic because it makes me feel the same way.

If I was in charge of the way people acted, I would make everyone have their own sort of humor that fits the mood and setting of the time. If the world were like this, I believe that everyone would have a better time and at least some good would come out of sad experiences. We all go through it, and it’s hard without comedy.

Although I do enjoy taking boring or sad things and making them entertaining, I don’t think it is entirely right to do it all the time. For instance, if someone has just died, or if it’s been announced that terrorists are attacking America. Some might interpret my humor at serious moments as a display of my character. My character being that I don’t take things seriously or I blow things out of proportion. I have gotten in trouble for this many times. But that’s not my interpretation.

Maybe the reason that people get mad at me for being goofy is because I do it too much. They think that I have a way of ruining serious moments. If I was on the outside looking in on myself, I would say that my character doesn’t lack seriousness, but that I merely enjoy taking depressing moments and putting cheery facelifts on them so that people don’t feel so bummed out. I enjoy when people do things to make bad experiences seem worthwhile because I believe that comedy is an expression of character.