Chelsea - Littleton, Colorado

Trust your instincts. Yeah, I know, who would have the complete and total confidence to do that? Not many, but I believe that it is a vital part of living… living the way you desire.

This may sound cliché, but it is important to trust instincts, and to do what you believe is right. I have learned over the years that what my instincts are telling me to do is the right thing, even if it is not the most popular thing to do, or if it is not what I think is right.

When I was a little girl, my mom took me to the zoo. As we approached the reptile house, I was so excited, but at the same time scared. I was deathly afraid of snakes, but I would rather go in to the reptile house, then have kids at school tease me about being a chicken. When I finally got enough courage, I marched into the reptile house, without hesitation. Once in there, I was surprised by how much more welcoming it was than I had imagined. I actually was having fun and found the reptiles very interesting.

As I looked in through one of the small windows, way back in the corner, I saw an exotic snake. Before I knew it, I had this weird feeling in my diaphragm like some one had punched me. My first thought was that I was extremely grossed out by the snakes; I just hadn’t noticed it. When I turned around to tell my mom, she was not there. I was mortified. I had no idea where she had gone, and I thought that she had left me. I sat down in the corner and began to cry.

Looking back, I realized that the gut-wrenching feeling in my stomach was actually my instincts telling me something was wrong; my mom and I were separated from each other in the large crowd. At the time, it was the scariest moment in my life. As I’ve matured, I understand and appreciate the importance of trusting my instincts. This is one of the hardest things to do. Sometimes it creates an internal conflict; a conflict that exists between my head and my instincts. I have learned this the hard way, with friendships.

Friends are the best thing, but with friends come pressure. There are many times when I have wanted to do what everyone else is doing, but I have felt in my heart that it was not the right decision. It is hard to stand up for what I believe in, but sometimes, I feel pressure to do what I know is wrong.

Trust your instincts. It is the right thing to do, even if it doesn’t feel that way. I can have the confidence to stand up for what I believe in, and to do what I know is right. It is not always easy, but what would life be with out a good challenge?