Emily - wichita, Kansas

This I Believe…

“It seems illogical that there could ever be a God, and I think logically.” The familiar argument began once again. “You do not need logical proof that is why they call it faith.” I retorted back angrily.

We sat staring at each other, waiting for the other to give in. we had repeated this same conversation almost a hundred times before, always about the same thin our belief systems and our faith. Our debating about faith had become so common that our other friends, who sat with us at lunch, found our never-ending fighting the source for much amusement.

This friend who I argued with often strongly questions his belief in God, and he has been for almost three years. I suppose that it has not been his questioning of God that has bothered me so much. However, the constant reminders that I should not believe in God because he has no logical proof is overly annoying and frustrating. It drives me over the edge to have him tell me that I can not believe in God or Jesus, because he finds that there is no solid evidence to back up my religion.

I have been a Christian since I was born and have never really doubted that God does exist. My mother has worked at our church and that same church has been a significant part of my life for as long as I can remember. I have had my questions about the reality of the bible, but I have never questioned God’s existence in my life. In addition to this strong belief in God, I have always been a strong believer in religious tolerance. My philosophy for a long time has been that many Gods can exist and why can’t those other Gods actually be the same God that I believe in. It seems perfectly logical to me that many other religions can coexist with mine. And I understand that someone’s faith is important to them.

Yes, I believe in God, but more importantly, I believe in Faith. No matter what that faith entails, or whom that faith is in. I believe everyone needs faith to survive. Everyone has either faith in people, faith in objects, faith in themselves, or faith in God. Faith is important to every one on the earth. I believe in faith, mine as well as everyone else’s. This I believe.