Wendy - Albuquerque, New Mexico
Themes: children

I believe…

There was this little mean little girl named Lucy, she was in my Pre-school class. She would always call me “Orejas de papalote” which means kite ears and flat-ironed ears. She lowered my self-esteem very quickly as a 4 year old. She would constantly tell me that I was such an ugly girl and that’s why no one wanted to be my friend. I would always start crying and didn’t want to go to school because this was everyday. My mom loved putting my hair in up- dos and I would cry and beg for her to just leave it down.

I believe that there are many different ways to hurt others. To me the most effective way of hurting others is by using harsh words or telling others mean things that are not necessary. Most people have experienced this because God didn’t make everyone perfect. He made everyone unique and different. The ones that have experienced this say that words hurt more than bruises. Words can bruise you inside, and is almost impossible to make those bruises go away. There might be something about you that bothers you and you might wish it was different or not there, but you’re okay with it.

I don’t get teased about my ears as often as in the past but I still do. My parents have always been there to comfort me when I needed them. They have always supported me by trying to help me feel better. They have always told me its better to be different in your own way then being the same as everyone else. They have also said that it’s better to have different ears that can hear, than no ears at all. I also don’t take comments as an insult or as personally as I used to. I think my parent’s motivation helped me a lot. What has also helped me is joining sports that require wearing my hair up. It has really helped me with my self- confidence. I believe that appearance doesn’t matter. I don’t ever think about Lucy because I don’t hold anything against her.