Christina - Albuquerque, New Mexico
Themes: setbacks

I believe…

I believe that everyone deserves a second chance. I believe that everyone makes mistakes and should be allowed to have a chance to fix things. I myself have been given a second chance at life. I attend Valley High school and I formerly attended a private school and before that I went to West Mesa high School. In the next few paragraphs I would like to share with you how my second chance is in process.

During my ninth grade year I have to admit I wasn’t the best student. I never went to class and my grades were horrible. I thought that getting drunk with my friends was a lot more important. I was a huge disappointment to my parents. I really didn’t seem to care much about anything. I found my joy in drinking and what I thought was fun. I never realized how much I was hurting myself and others around me, so many times I lied to my parents about what I was doing and who I was hanging out with. It got to the point where I didn’t even know the truth anymore. I was losing sight of myself. And fast. I thought I was having the time of my life. Little did I know, that was the very thing that was slipping out of my fingers.

So one day, my mother decides to check my attendance at school. I wasn’t even there the day she went. So that’s when things really got out of control. My whole family found out about what I had been doing. So that same day they took me out of West Mesa and enrolled me into a private Christian school. I thought my world was over! I couldn’t believe they had done this. Everything I cared about was taken away from me. I had no where to turn. I wasn’t allowed to talk to any of my friends or anybody for that matter. The new school isolated me from everything. Private school is so much different from public schools. I learned a lot there, the teachers were like second parents the education was a lot better and most importantly, I found out who I really was and who I would have become if I had still been living that life. This was my second chance, my chance to prove myself and show others that the grass is greener on the other side. No matter how much pride you have to swallow just know that sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same, and this is only determined through a second chance.