Adriana - Albuquerque, New Mexico

To Fast

“I had grown to big for my breeches”. I had gotten a job was given a car and had begun saving money. It was around this time that my parents and I began to argue more often than not. Every time the arguments got more emotional I always reminded my self that I only had “x” amount of days until my eighteenth birthday and that I would be free. I believe that all teenagers go through a major metamorphosis during their late teenage year and during this metamorphism parent begin to cling to what was. In doing so, parents push their children even further away.

Ungrateful, perhaps but my side of the story begins last Friday I had gotten caught doing something I was not supposed and in doing so was grounded for two weeks from my car. The first response after the verdict had been given was yippy my mom and I are going to be best friends! The first day dragged on I had listened to my mom bicker at me for a whole hour and a half. Enough was enough; I look back to the five minutes I let it rip. I felt so liberated I continued on with a clinging note No matter how many times she told me not to play with fire; until I got burned I was going to. I need to make my own mistakes and learn from them. I was not going to make her mistakes but my own.

In conclusion to my liberating moment I realized that all my mom wanted was the relationship we had only two years ago. She was sick of probing through my micro-inequities and guessing what I wanted and was feeling. What my mom had forgotten was that regardless of the circumstances, when push came to shove I knew who I would go to, her.

I am the oldest of my three younger sisters, all of who are very high-spirited crybabies. I just felt that maybe my problems were not as demanding as theirs were. I know now that my mom pushes so hard because she know that eventually I will leave the nest with both wings flapping.