Brian - Albuquerque, New Mexico

Have you ever given up sports, school, money, even time with family and friends to rather do something else? Something you love? This believe if you really want to do something you love and want to succeed in, you’ll give up and risk many things in your life for it. I did this for my only inspiration in life, music.

In the beginning of 9th grade year I was playing football, I was getting the grades I expected, spending quality time with friends and family, skateboarding, and playing the drums. I was dedicated to all, but it soon became overwhelming. I couldn’t hold my grades, play sports, skate, and spend time on family all at once. I needed to get my life straight.

I soon came to a final plan; pick priorities that I want to have in my future and that will help me achieve it. Music came first, it had always been a major interest and I wished to have my drums take me somewhere. I sucked at football and was expected to join basketball afterwards. Those weren’t helping me, I eventually quit the football team and never went out for basketball. My grades began to drop cause I wasn’t focused so much on it over music.

I became more serious about my music in 10th grade, I didn’t join sports, my grades were low, and I was even growing away from my own family. Instead of dinner with them on Saturday night I was too busy writing lyrics in my room. I was abusing my allowance and blowing it on equipment I needed for my drums. All of this seemed wrong but I soon realized, if this is what I have to do to succeed in my goal, ill do it.

Friends started asking me why they hadn’t seen me in so long, my family didn’t even know me anymore, I had no cash on me and grades were an all time low. I need to keep priorities aside from music as well. My education holds my ticket out of here to study music in college, friends and family are inspiration to my music and they support it. I came to finalize these 5 priorities and am learning to divide them into my time equally. Music, Family, Friends, School, Girls. Somehow I still don’t really divide these equally in the end, its always music I stick too. Why? Cause I believe that it will get me somewhere, its what I want to succeed in. And I am risking some of the most important things to me for it. So far its worked. And im happy with what I’ve made myself of it.