Philipp - Albuquerque, New Mexico

This I believe: Beauty?

You see them everyday and everywhere. On TV, newspaper, internet or if you just walk around. You see them in Germany, where I am from, and also in the USA, where I will stay for one year as an exchange student. The “perfect”/”beautiful” person. But what is “beauty”? Isn’t beauty in the eye of the beholder? This I believe.

I believe that we are all unprejudiced when we are born and that the media and society really forces us to think and act in their way. There is almost no chance to keep you original thoughts and beliefs. We are in a specific way “brainwashed”. This is the same with beauty. I believe that beauty is or should be in the eye of the beholder but the society “taught” is in an early status what “real beauty” is.

I was in the 7th grade when I first realized how much pressure society has on you and me when it comes to how you HAVE to look like. I met a girl I really liked. I liked her because she was not like everyone else. She was beautiful in her own way and in my eyes. I loved her eyes and her sense of humor and the most important thing I could rely on her, she was what you search in a good friend but more. But I soon noticed that she started to change. She more and more tried to look “cool”, like everyone else. Like the girls in the very popular German magazine BRAVO but like most other girls her tries went wrong and she looked soon more

like a scarecrow than a hot supermodel.

You can see it everyday. People try more and more to look like each other. And that just to be “beautiful”, but isn’t it everybody’s own and individual way of looking that really makes us beautiful? The necessity to look like we are “thought” is nowadays such a big topic for young people that it becomes even dangerous. People start to make diets and extreme make-over to look like their idols or to be “beautiful”. But an even bigger threat is that people start to change themselves to be “normal”. Aren’t we all normal in our way? What is normal? This shows how big the pressure of society and there one way thinking is.

This girl or what happened to her opened my eyes and showed me that the media has way too much influence on us and nobody should change themselves for something they don’t believe in.

I believe we have to start to find back to our original believes/thoughts and to start to think for our selves. Because beauty is in the eye of the beholder and nobody should tell us what we have to think! This I believe.