Dominic - Albuquerque, New Mexico
Themes: children

I believe that there is no such thing as a mistake only, decisions good or bad. People use the word mistake as an easy way out of saying “I made a bad decision and I got caught doing so.” The reason behind me saying this is well for example if you took your parents car without them knowing you would think that you had a good idea, but if you were to get caught you would say you made a mistake.

I know this from first hand experience because my parents used to have a spare car that I would take without them knowing in 8th grade. I used to think it was perfectly fine to take the car until the day I got caught and decided that I had made a so called “mistake.” The experience that got me caught was one day when two of my friends who happened to be brothers and I decided to skip school and go to the mall. I taught myself how to drive. I never even paid attention to my parent’s drive I just figured it couldn’t be too hard even though I was only thirteen. We went to the mall and walked around for a while and everything was fine, then we decided to go to Just for Feet which was located in the same parking lot as the mall but not a part of the mall. Once we got inside we saw a friend of my friends’ parents. She came and talked to us and asked why we weren’t in school and my friend responded “we didn’t have school today.” She said alright, and then we left. It must have been about two days later when I was just sitting in my living room joking around with my parents when the doorbell rang.

It was my friend and his dad at the door and they told my parents the whole story. It turns out the day after we were at the mall, the lady from Just for Feet saw my friends dad and told him that she saw us the day before around 11:30 at the mall and she also told him that she saw me driving and I didn’t look anywhere near old enough to be driving. My parent’s feelings were so hurt, but they were relieved that I wasn’t hurt. I knew right away that I had made a stupid decision so I told my parents I made a horrible “mistake”, but if that lady would have never said anything and we wouldn’t have gotten caught I would have thought it was a good idea that I had. So I believe there are no such things as mistakes; only decisions and you can either make good ones or bad ones but just make sure you make the right one because that decision could stick with you for the rest of your life.