Brittany - Albuquerque, New Mexico
Themes: children

This I believe

I have learned a lot from my mistakes in the past. I have now figured out what right from wrong really means.

In the 8th grade at Taft Middle School, I made new friends and hung out with the wrong crowd, which my parents told me to stay away from those girls but of course I disobeyed them and never listened to what my parents said. It had all started one morning when one of the girls were talking about ditching the rest of the day, well I was a follower and not a leader so I thought it would be cool if I ditched with them, but before we were walking out one of my good friends told me not to go cause she said I would get caught but once again I didn’t listen. So we all left during passing period anyways and didn’t get caught. We had left our stuff behind a tree near Taft.

As we continued on, we walked to a bus stop and went to one of the girls’ house. She broke in and got some funny cigarettes and everyone was smoking but me. They kept trying to force me to do it but I kept rejecting it over and over. Pretty soon we were on a bus again going everywhere taking chances and possibly risking our lives. I was so paranoid and scared that day and kept telling myself we were going to get caught and I should have listened and just stayed at school like a good student should.

The day was taking so long to end it felt like forever and I wanted to go back already. It was about 2:40p.m. And we were on they way back to school. We got off the bus and walked to the tree where we had put our belongings. When we had finally walked to the tree our belongings were not their and I started panicking! I was horrified and I felt so unrespectable afterwards. So I decided to turn myself in. Sad part is when I went I was all alone on this, I had thought all the girls left but two of them came back with me and I just broke down in tears. I was disappointed in myself!

The principle made me call my mom and I told her everything. She was furious. When she got there she got out and smacked me hard. I was embarrassed. I was in the worst trouble I had ever been in, when I got home my parents took everything (my phone, TV, computer, etc) I was one sad little girl at home and in trouble.

Later on we then found out that the school already knew what happened because the side-by-side kids had found our stuff when they went on their daily walk. So there was no way of getting out of it. That was the first and last time I ever ditch! I have learned a valuable lesson and I truly have learned from some of my mistakes. This I believe is what I call learning from my mistakes.