Joni - Inwood, Iowa

Having a Bad Day?

“……………………’Cause you had a bad day, you’re takin’ one down, you sing a sad song just to turn it around………………”

Daniel Powter apparently knew what he was talking about when he sang this, having a bad day is no fun. I firmly believe that we ourselves determine how our day will go. The statement that’s often made, “Don’t worry, be happy”, sometimes sounds impossible, but that doesn’t mean we can’t try to have a good day.

Having too many things going on makes one worry, and worrying doesn’t make anyone happy. I know that world peace will never happen, , however I do know that we can love ourselves by doing what we love, and loving what we do. What is our definition of happiness? Money? Success? I believe happiness is loving where you are in life and simply taking it as it comes, one step at a time. If we are happy, money and success will fall to its place in our life.

Being a junior in High School can be very intense. This is the year that students are very preoccupied by having to take the ACT, the PSAT, getting new jobs, and being upperclassmen which means their teachers expect more out of them. It sometimes helps just to merely sit down and relax. In everything from homework to after school activities, pressure is put on students to reach perfection in everything.

This past summer I was bored so, I went out applying for jobs. I applied at about every place in the little town of Rock Valley. One bright Sunday morning, a lady I had named as a reference on my application, told me Rock Valley Pizza Ranch had called her. She said it sounded as if I might get the job! When Pizza Ranch finally called me, they asked me to come in for an interview. I was delighted! I spoke with the manager, and one half of an hour later; I walked out of Pizza Ranch with two red Pizza Ranch shirts, and a job!

This experience helped my self-esteem. After beginning work and figuring out how everything operated, I began to really enjoy my job. My boss was very nice and so were my co-workers. School time was rolling around fast, but thinking I could do both school and work, I kept working.

Two or Three weeks into school, I was getting pretty stressed with too much going on. Eventually I had to decide between school and work, so I quit my job. Quitting is one of the hardest things to do, because you feel like you have failed at something. I’ve always been afraid of failure, but maybe failure isn’t such a bad thing, since you learn to get through them.

Life may not always be easy to understand, but learn to deal with it.. Try to find something good in every experience. Take control of your life; do not let your life take control of you!