Hannah - Centennial, Colorado

Friendships have always been important to me ever since I was just starting out in school. Everyone has the desire to be loved and cared for by someone other than their immediate family members. Unfortunately, some never find this other love, which breaks my heart. Some kids who say that there is no God and will never attend church, may never experience the care that many feel. And I truly feel sorry for them. Sometimes I feel as if it is my fault for not inviting those kids to my youth group where they could feel that they are cared for by people who don’t even know them. The only friendships they depend on are those through their school or the few they may have in their neighborhoods. But, I am fortunate enough to have found this love within my own church family and youth group.

Whenever I go to youth group on Wednesday nights or church on Sunday mornings, I’m always immediately greeted, hugged and asked, “How’s your week been?” by many other high school and middle school kids and youth leaders. I have never felt unwanted or left out there and I don’t think that I ever will feel that way. The best part about my youth group, The Edge, is that there doesn’t seem to be any kind of a popularity scale like a school might have. Everyone is equal and treated the same. I am a freshman and now that I’m a high schooler, I have joined the youth leadership team, called SALT. I notice that the middle school friends I have look up to me differently, as I have become a mentor and someone they can confide in. I love being able to counsel them and give them advice on their everyday struggles, while maintaining a friendship I’ve always had with that person.

For people that haven’t had the chance to find friendships like these, my advice is to do so. Go out and be yourself wherever you go; don’t keep the real you bottled up inside. I believe that everyone deserves friendships like these and that everyone needs people to be their absolute true selves around. This I believe.