ray - albquerque, New Mexico
Themes: golden rule

I believe that it’s only human nature to be weary of others. We are leery of the homeless man on the corner because of the way he looks. We are intolerable of the teenagers because of the music they listen to. Sometimes we are just scared of others because they like different things then we do. It seems to me that we are just looking out for number one, instead of living to help and trust each other. I believe everyone should have an equal chance to show who they are and that their word should be trusted completely until they have been proven to be deceitful to you.

I think I dress like your average kid. Apparently others feel that I don’t fit their standard; whatever that standard might be. Because of their feelings, I am stereotyped. I can’t even defend myself form their profiling. I am helpless. What happened to never judge a book by its cover?

One such occurrence is actually how I acquired my best friend. In the sixth grade, I was a preppie little kid, or at least I looked like one. I still balked at the rules, but for no specific reasons except for maybe teenage angst. Going to class one day, I happened to cross the path of a little jerk. His name was Eddie. I instantaneously hated him for how he looked and the way I perceived him to be. The feeling was mutual. It seemed we were destined to fight out our differences until one of us could no longer stand and was reduced to a pulp.

It never got that far. Eddie and I landed up having a class together. We started talking about our likes and dislikes and as it turns out we had a lot in common. We ended up becoming friends. We found out that we lived near each other. We are now best friends and hang out together. He has my back and I have his. I hate to think that I would have missed out on a great friendship had we not swallowed our pride and never got to know each other.

“Do unto others as you would have done to you.” You hear this quote all the time, but do we ever really follow it? I myself have been guilty of not following it. I am not trying to sound religious, but I think we should follow this rule. I believe we should be giving everyone a fair change and not judging people on how they look, what they wear, or what they listen to. Yes we take the chance of being shafted, but aren’t the benefits well worth it?