Amanda - RICHMOND, Kentucky
Themes: carpe diem

I believe in living every day to its fullest. The phrase carpe diem is meaningful to my life. Even though I’m considered young at 21, I realize that I need to live every day as though it is my last. When I was 18 and fresh out of high school my step-father was killed in an automobile accident. A drunk driver had crossed over the median and hit the vehicle that my step-dad and mom were in. Luckily for me and my brother my mom lived through the accident. However, I will never be able to forget the moment that it actually hit me. My step-father and my mom were only 35 at the time. I will never forget how I felt when I realized that my mom had been divorced and widowed before she turned 40.

Since then I have tried to live every day like it might be my last. I am constantly wishing to grow up faster. I know that I’m too young to be married and have children, but subconsciously I am wishing for that. I want to be able to love someone and have children while I still have the time. Some people believe that I am being pessimistic and that I shouldn’t look at life this way. However, if today might be your last day don’t you think you would do it differently? If I knew would certainty that today would be my last today I would have woken up early and watched the sunrise. I’d call all of my family and friends and let them know how much they mean to me. I wouldn’t worry about school or my future. I’d spend the day relaxing in the beauty of nature and what my life has brought to me so far.

Life offers no guarantees. I am not guaranteed a long and healthy life. I am also not guaranteed happiness. Happiness however is what you make of life. By living every day to its fullest and enjoying the simple pleasures that life brings me, I am able to live a more rewarding and fulfilling life that I ever thought possible. My step-father’s death was a horrible experience. However I am no longer able to look at it in rage, disbelief, or grief because I learned the lesson that life is short and that I should live every day to its fullest.