Shawn - boiling springs, North Carolina
Themes: purpose

I believe in competition

Webster defines competition as the rivalry for supremacy it is a contest for some prize, honor, or advantage. Competition is a valuable tool for human advancement, to compete means that you try to outdo an individual or group. Competition is the reason for advances in technology, for higher education, and competition is the drive behind world economics. I believe that without competition society as a whole would show no progress. I believe that without the competitions I have engaged in throughout my education and social existence my life would be unimportant to others and myself.

From the very beginning of my social existence, competing has been a part of my life. I competed with my brothers and sisters for the attention of my parents and for objects of entertainment, like toys. In grade school I competed with other students for higher test and quiz grades as well as the approval of my teachers. When I received this approval I felt like all kids my age felt, I felt acceptance and achievement. I recognized that this was an advantage over my peers. Another prize that I received as a result of my scores in school and the approval of teachers was the attention of my parents. Parental attention is important in development during your childhood. With the absence of love and attention in a home, children are usually insecure and unhappy.

In high school competition and how you chose to compete defined who you were as a person. Competitions in academics, sports, and relationships determined your

reputation and social status in high school. I chose to compete in several high school sports. I enjoyed these activities because of the accomplishments I achieved. The acceptance I felt from my teammates and fellow students was important to me. I competed with my peers to gain and retain the knowledge that our teachers offered to us in our classes. The social status and confidence that you gain from having advantages in academics and sports can affect your self-esteem and confidence.

People compete for personal relationships because they gain advantages through them. Business relationships are formed to make money and achieve financial stability. Romantic relationships have an emotional benefit to them, both of these types of relationships improve ones self esteem and lifestyle.

I believe in competition because it is a function of our everyday lives. Everyone has competed to gain an advantage or prize whether it was at home, in the workplace, or in a social situation. For many individuals, usually the most driven and successful ones, competition is as common as eating and speaking. The world that I live in embraces competition and winners are admired and accepted. In our world in our world competitors and motivated individuals are understood to possess happiness and success. I believe in competition.