Rommie - Bellingham, Washington

NPR This I believe

November 9, 2006

I was amazed to hear a newscaster “say it like it is” on the night before the Nov. 6 election. Olbermann on MSNBC stated the obvious – there is an elephant in the living room. The American people are neither gullible nor stupid – nor particularly fearful despite the fear-mongering tactics used by the neo-conservatives of the Bush presidency.

We have been lied to and manipulated for the political and economic agenda of this Administration. The People have set the record straight by this most recent election results but at a price – a disillusionment that shattered the idealistic conscious of this country, similar to the effect of the Nixon Watergate fiasco.

We were disgusted with the blatant personal behavior of Clinton. Many voted this holier than thou Bible banging Administration into office based on this one perception of immorality. That was my own mother’s rationale.

I believe this administration is far more immoral than any we’ve seen to date. They are responsible for much of hatred aimed at the USA today and the waste of lives, no matter what nationality, caused by the War in Iraq. The President, his administration and the leadership of Halliburton should be ashamed on themselves. (I’m a grandmother now so I can say that :).

I for one will be working to find wiser and more intelligent leadership for 2008. I will be looking for pragmatic solutions, not rhetoric. I will be looking for the strength of character that is purposeful and strong. I will be looking for someone who is able to listen to others. I will not base my decision on knee jerk reactions to fear of terrorism. Terrorism is a pragmatic reality of this time and place.

So far, I am wary of almost any current candidate. Out of the 300 million Americans there have got to be better choices. We need to establish a culture of altruistic public service, not a cynical means to enhance one’s pocketbook or image. Decency and honesty are still the dominant value held by the people of the United States. Whether they live by a religious code or not, despite the media images of violence and decadence, ordinary people are most generally decent human beings. This, I believe.