Amanda - Albuquerque, New Mexico
Themes: work

I Believe

“Now, for the most improved runner . . Amanda!” It was hard to believe, but it wasn’t shocking either. Four months had flown by like nothing, but walking up to the stage all that was running through my head (no pun intended) was all the hard work I had endured.

It all started when I found out I had to join a club or sport for school in order to stay on the Academy. So I thought, “I’m pretty good at running and people said that Cross Country is fun. So, I started Cross Country. I started out on the top of C team. I wasn’t used to running so much. It was two miles the first day. It was very hot and I was so thirsty, but I kept trying. I had run two miles in P.E. at school before and it was pretty hard, but I was still the first girl to finish in my class.

Over the next month I went from taking a couple of stops during the two miles to running it without stopping and gradually to three miles. I worked hard on my breathing, pace, and time. On the third meet I beat someone’s time on Varsity, therefore putting me on Varsity. I admit it was easier being at the top of Junior Varsity than on the bottom of Varsity, but it made me work harder, making work to keep my spot, and helping me to be better.

From then on I wanted to better a better runner and I was. Running through all those meets and rushing to get the best time. In the end I was the third top runner for my school and could run three miles in about twenty-two minutes. Which was my best time.

“Go Manda!! Whooo!!!!.” That’s what I would hear when I would run in to the finish line. And that’s what I was hearing as I walked up to receive my award. I walked up and thanked coach and he congratulated me. A little while later I was given a letter, but I had no lettermen’s jacket. Now I have to work hard for that. I believe that hard work pays off in the end, no matter if the award is a trophy, money, or knowing you did your best. I believe in hard work.