Matthew - Apex, North Carolina
Themes: carpe diem

This I believe, I am an improvisor.

My name is Matthew and I’m husband to Madhavi and father to Jacob, Joey, and Leah. I’m director to a fine group of people in my comedy troupe. I’m an actor at a community theater. I will be officiant for Rob and Barbara at their commitment ceremony. I’m project leader for a major pharmaceutical company. However, none of those titles sums up who I really am.

In the theatre, they call it improvisation. In comedy clubs, they call it improv. In Europe, they call it impro. In the office, they call it thinking out of the box. I call it the philosophy of my life. I am an improvisor.

I perform improv comedy, but that’s not what makes me an improvisor. I teach improv comedy, but that’s not what makes me an improvisor. I direct an improv comedy troupe, but that’s not what makes me an improvisor. I was born an improvisor and happily, if I was offered a script in the maternity ward, I never noticed.

Improvisors “yes and” offers made to them. Accept the offer, add to the offer, and give it back better than it came to you. That’s how I live my life. I’ll take what you give me, do my best to make it even better and then pass it on.

Improvisors do not deny someone else’s reality. I’ll accept you for what you are. I don’t want you to confirm to my reality. Your reality is beautiful and I’ll share it with you for as long as I can, and then move on.

Improvisors are in the moment. I’m not concerned with last year. I’m not planning for next year. I’m here. I’m now. The pains and joys of the past and the fears and promises of the future are not the things that define me. I am now what I am now.

Improvisors make their scene partners look good. And this is perhaps the most important thing to me. I’m not here to hurt you. Or him. Or her. Or them. Or even those people over there that it is okay to hate. I’m here to help. I’m here to make you look good. I want you to feel better and do more. And I’m glad to help you or get out of your way according to your needs and desires.

Yes, I’m a husband, a father, a friend, and a good corporate citizen. However, that’s not all I am. If I was a little green alien in a big budget film, perhaps I’d reverse my grammar and say, “This I believe, I’m an improvisor.