Katrina - Albuquerque, New Mexico
Themes: carpe diem

I believe that you shouldn’t dwell on the past. The past can consume you so much that you don’t live the present, if you do nothing but dwell on the past you will forget how to improve from it. The past is what we build our future from. Where our mistakes become part of our accomplishments.

It took me a while to get the concept down. I was always living for the past. Never for the future, never looking ahead. Looking back at the mistakes I had made, the good and bad memories. I was looking so far in the past that I was letting the present pass right in front of me. It was hard learning to let go and focus on what needed to be done that rather what was done.

I would go day by day thinking about the past and how I could have changed it, made it better. Thinking about the if’s, what if I what if I said this or done this. I was always trying to fix the mistakes that I had made. Even though they weren’t of Importance anymore. Always having that thought of responsibility to fix what was wrong, always having to help anyone to forget what I didn’t do correctly. Slowly I grew out of that.

I opened my eyes; with a little help I realized that it could really affect my life. My mom’s friend was in jail and his mom died while he was in there. He missed his mom’s funeral because of his dumb choices he had made in the past, he was released on the day of her funeral, but it was too late. She was gone. There was nothing he could have done, or say to bring her back. It took death to open my eyes, I know I really didn’t have any relation to her but it made me think. What if that where my mom? What if my decisions lead to something like that?

Now I chose to live for now, today. Taking it slowly, because you don’t know if you are going to wake up the next morning. I don’t want anyone I love even myself to go, or having a lot to say or not having any good memories with one another. If you live in the past you should open your eyes and live for the present.