Jacqueline - Albuquerque, New Mexico

What I Believe

What I believe is, communication is crucial. When you meet some one, what do you see in them at that first few seconds? Do you feel intrigued, or turned off by them, would you try to get to know them? Dealing with people is unavoidable, so you must interact with them.

Every day I have to deal with a person’s wants and needs. Being in public services, I have to please the customer and make sure that what they want is what they get. With in the first few seconds I have to build an appearance that would attract people and how they would feel with me. That is not always the easiest thing to do. I have to communicate with the customer to help not only them but also the company. I have to promote the product effectively. A person knows when you’re being false and just trying to get them to buy the product. So you have to be sincere and honest, that’s what’s convincing.

Another example is high school, everyday you have to communicate with other teens once you approach someone, and they automatically build this stereotypical outlook of you. They automatically turn you out, without the chance to get to know you. Being in the after school activity I’m in it’s not always easy to make friends, to them I’m this tough G.I. Jane. So trying to get to know people out side of my group is hard. I can’t just go up to the athletes and say hey do you know about the military? They can’t ask me about team positions, so people don’t communicate with others outside of those they know are familiar with what they know. It’s a matter of coolness, and appearance also familiarity. To a high school student appearance is everything and familiarity is everything. So they avoid talking to those they don’t know.

People have to break the barrier between image and communication; it’s what I believe will help the world become a better place in terms of friendliness, and relationships. If people just had the courage to out step the boundaries of society they may actually enjoy life more. People following image and peoples out look of them they place more stress on them selves. All just to be accepted. What is the price of acceptance? Dependency of opinions, distrusts, and envy. Communication lacking the social barriers will help me break out of the social norms.