Jared - Albuquerque, New Mexico

What if there was something that everyone liked, something that not only united people, but had the ability to influence the way people viewed themselves, each other, and the world? Anything this insane seems only farfetched, but it can be found anywhere. I believe in music.

Music is my passion, my life. To me, music is not only a way to get away from the world for three minutes, but it is also a way to express how I feel. I have been playing the guitar seriously for about three years now, and I find no greater joy than just sitting down in my room and playing. Hours can fly by and I play, and play, and play, never finding it tedious or boring, but seeing it as a lifestyle. It’s a way to show myself and others what is going on inside.

My whole life changed about four years ago when I listened to the album “The Dark Side of the Moon” by Pink Floyd. From the ringing pulse in the beginning, carrying to the final piano chord, I was entranced. How was it possible that humankind could create something so perfect, so amazing? The whole album opened my eyes to something that I never thought possible. I can never explain what I’m feeling when I listen to that album. My emotions get mixed up and I feel like I’m going insane, which is how I want to feel.

The genre of music doesn’t matter. Music in general is a way to express oneself, whether it be through hip-hop or classical music. If you area person who feels depressed, you will find the genre to fit yourself. If you are a person who feels as thought they want to “hang with da homies”, you will find a genre to fit yourself. If you are looking for a good tune, you will find a genre to fit yourself. Or you can be the all around eclectic that listens to all. Of the endless amount of music that is out there, it isn’t hard to find something you like. There are many outlets available for music, the most widespread of which is the radio. The radio is a good way to find what is popular in our modern times. Whatever you listen to, please just understand that other people have their opinions as well.

Music is the voice of reason. It has gotten this country through some hard times, dealing with war and protests. Music has made us reflect on those, times even when the nation flourished. Music unites us all together, not only as a race or a single culture, but it brings the whole world together. Music is the universal language, sharing its words with everyone.

This I believe.