Joseph - Louisville, Kentucky

To Help thy Neighbor

I believe that service is of great magnitude in the world we live in today. When every other aspect of society rotates around money, all we see is corruption. If everything were money, money, money, then we would live in a terrible world. However, with service to others, we see compassion. Unfortunately, the youth of today do not fully recognize the importance, and they must.

To me, service is not just going to the local soup kitchen and serving food to the poor. There are several ways of service, some straightforward, and others indirect. We all know that working with the Saint Vincent de Paul Society or Habitat for Humanity is a pretty straightforward way of service; volunteering for other non-profit organizations is, too. Service can be donating food to food banks or having toy drives. The kind of service many people don’t realize is the indirect service. I personally have a lot of experience with indirect service; it is my duty to serve people in every way possible. I am a Boy Scout—an Eagle Scout nearly; it is my job to serve my community, so I have a lot of experience with it. I had to do many different types of service, both straightforward and more indirect service, including a major service project, to reach the rank I have now. This indirect service includes helping the environment as well as helping those who need a little extra boost.

The importance of service is tremendous. I think it is a great way for me, and others, to show compassion and humility for those whose lives seem to be in a state of helplessness and is a great way to show that we all care. I believe that it is a great idea for schools and religious organizations to require service because it opens our minds to the rest of the world. We can change lives with our service to others and to the environment. As Archimedes, a great Greek mathematician said, “Give me but one firm spot on which to stand, and I shall move the earth.” If we can all move the earth through our service, why would we pass the chance?

Service is of great importance to me, and every day, I try to serve others through my actions. I should hope that others follow in my footsteps to serve other people, for this I believe.