Sherry - LEWISVILLE, Texas
Themes: love

Marriage. It can have different meanings to different people. I believe that marriages can and should last a lifetime. Especially, since when two people exchange vows, they say “till death does us apart” this to me means that they will be together literally till death does them apart.

I never gave much thought to marriage. I mean yeah, I used to say I was going to get married at one point in my life, but that was it. However, things kind of took a different turn when I found out my parents were going to get divorced. I thought if I’m going to end up like my parents, there’s no point of thinking about marriage. I didn’t know how to react, I mean how could I? I was fourteen and always had lived with both of my parents. I never imagined that, not in a million years. But that’s one of those things you just have to learn how to deal with, right? I didn’t think so. I was determined that my parents had to stay together. I didn’t want my parent’s marriage to be another statistic and fall into the divorced category. Several questions filled my mind. What am I going to tell my friends? Am I going to go back and forth every other weekend? Is it my fault? I mean I could go on and on about all the things I that crossed my mind. The one big question I had was, aren’t marriages suppose to last a lifetime?

Society has taught us that it’s ok to get divorced. Divorces aren’t as big of a deal as they were a few years back. We see it everywhere, in our everyday lives, in movies, celebrities, and even our own families. But according to the principles and morals I was taught divorces aren’t good.

I wish I could say that I came up with a master plan, set my parents up, and we all lived happily ever after. However, we all know that in reality things don’t really work out that way. Eventually, after all the hardships and tribulations my parents were able to work things out. It was not easy though. My parents went through many fights and counseling sessions. It was hard not just for them, but for our whole family. It was a tough and long journey, which made their relationship a lot stronger. It also taught them a lot. In the end, not only did my parents learn from it, but so did I. Out of all the things they taught me, I can say that the most important one was to always show love and respect, even when the going gets tough.

I can proudly say my parents are still together after 23 years. This experience changed my way of thinking. Now that I am about to start my marriage I believe more than ever that marriages can last a life time!