Edith - Albuquerque, New Mexico

This I believe

I believe that you should live every moment of your life.

Life is short, it’s shorter then I thought. There are things in life that make you realize that you only have one life. It goes so fast and everything is changing. A death of a loved one, your best friend getting married, or even just growing up. I am already a junior in high school and it feels like my freshmen year. Things in life tend to change and some can be tough, depressing, and happy which all teach me that I have to live every moment, every second, no matter what.

This summer was a combination of emotions and experiences that made me think and appreciate what I have. I learned what it is truly important in my life.

Well there was a loss in the family. I couldn’t believe when my mom told me that night that my auntie had died. She died of an epileptic shock in her house. It was hard seeing my cousins in pain, I didn’t know what to say in that instant. While I was at the funeral the first thought that came to my head was “what if my mom died, what would happen, would I react the same way”? I probably think that my life was over.

After this happened I noticed that I had value to my family and everything that I have. I should tell my parents how much I love them and understand him and tell everything that I think about his music, his band.

Another event that made me realize that life is short was when I went with my mom to help her with registering girls from New Futures, which is a school for young women that are pregnant or recently had their babies. I was shocked with all the girls that were there. There were girls my age or younger that were pregnant or with babies. No offense to them or anyone, I know I don’t have any rights to judge anyone, but I was looking at them and I was asking myself “did they ever think of this”, of the responsibility of a child? How come they skipped into the role of mothers so fast?

First I was a child, now I am 16 years old, where did all those years go? Well yeah, and it’s never too late to start living. I have to start living my life and express what I feel, what I really think, and be the real person who I am.

So I believe that life is short and that you should live every instant of your life, this I believe.